Key Takeaways
- When Travis Kelce proposed to Taylor Swift earlier this month, he followed modern wedding etiquette rules.
- Before popping the question, the football player asked her father for his permission, which was a meaningful touch.
- He also chose a proposal date that gave them time to celebrate the milestone privately before sharing the news with the world.
After dating for two years, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce are officially engaged. On August 26, 2025, the celebrity couple announced that they had taken the next step in their partnership and released a number of photos from their picturesque proposal. While fans weren't sure we'd learn much more than what the couple chose to reveal on social media, a member of the groom-to-be's inner circle came through with more details: Over the course of the past 24 hours, Ed Kelce, Travis's father, has described the pre-planning process that went into the moment, commenting on the thought process his son had before popping the question.
"Travis actually did the proposal, oh, maybe two weeks, not quite two weeks ago," Ed told WEWS. "He was going to put it off till this week. I think she was getting maybe a little antsy, but he was going to put her off till this week, to, you know, make some grand thing, to make it a big special event." Ultimately, the athlete opted for an intimate approach. Between preseason games and practices, the tight end reserved time to propose to the pop star in a secluded area of his backyard in Lee's Summit, Missouri.
We've also learned that Travis's proposal was etiquette-approved—whether he meant for it to be or not. Below, we break down the five key modern rules the athlete followed when proposing to the "Fortnight" singer, according to Myka Meier, an etiquette expert and the founder of Beaumont Etiquette.
Maddie Meyer / Staff / Getty Images
He asked Taylor's dad, Scott Swift, for permission.
While modern couples may not always involve their parents in their proposal plans, Travis adhered to traditional etiquette and asked the singer's father for permission, Ed said in a interview with The Jimmy & Nath Show with Emma. "I was talking to Scott Swift, and Travis went to ask him for permission, and this was probably a month ago, and Scott said, 'Well come on, when are you going to get this done?'" he reported.
According to Meier, this tradition is no longer a requirement for modern couples, but it's still often seen as a heartfelt gesture. "The key is that any conversation with family comes from a place of respect, not obligation," she says. "Some modern couples choose to include parents or loved ones in the proposal process because they know it would be meaningful to everyone involved, while others prefer to keep the moment just between the two of them."
He choose a setting that was meaningful to them.
While Ed disclosed that Travis had originally planned to make the proposal a grand production, he ultimately decided to do it at home. "I told him the same thing Scott told him, 'Asking her is what's going to make it special,'" Ed said. "It's not where you do it. You know what I mean? You could do it on the side of the road. Scott adds, 'Just get it done. Don't worry about any special date. Just, you're ready, you got the ring, go do it.'"
To this end, the tight end decided to pop the question in his backyard, surrounded by an array of romantic florals. In doing so, he followed modern etiquette. "The most important thing is that the proposal reflects the couple’s relationship and feels authentic to them," Meier says. "Proposals don't have to be elaborate or public; in fact, a private and intimate location can often feel even more special."
He kept it private.
Even though they may be one of the world's most well-known celebrity couples, Travis made sure that the proposal itself was just about the two of them. "They were going out to dinner and she was ready to go and he said, 'Let's go out in the garden on the patio and have a glass of wine before we go,'" Ed said on The Jimmy & Nath Show with Emma. "I think she knew something was up because as they walked out there, she could see, suddenly, there were a lot more flowers out there." Meier notes that the intimate location was a thoughtful touch, allowing the duo to keep the news under wraps for a few days. "It was probably one of the ways Travis could ensure it stayed private and secret until they were ready to share," she adds.
He shared the news when the moment was right.
In the digital age, more couples, including Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, opt to share their engagement news with their wider circle via social media. According to Meier, the decision to do so is a "modern and empowering move." "Not sharing your engagement news until the couple is ready is perfectly appropriate, and also shows how special an announcement it was to enjoy privately that they waited weeks before posting publicly," she says.
David Calvert / Stringer / Getty Images
He selected a proposal date that gave them time to celebrate with friends and family.
As previously noted, Travis made sure the couple had enough time to celebrate the news of the proposal privately with their friends and family. "We actually went to a thing in KC Sunday night, which was an ESPN airing of 'The Kingdom' and went to that, and his mother and I went with him back to his house for dinner, where Taylor made dinner, and we had a wonderful dinner with them outside on the patio and to just watch the two of them, just crazy about each other," Ed told WEWS. By reserving a few days to celebrate privately, Meier says the duo made the moment even more meaningful, allowing them to savor the time "without outside questions, thoughts and commentary, and that's perfectly proper etiquette today as a modern couple."


